FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2012

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mark DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:38:06 +0000
I agree with Rosemary:

See White v. Monsanto:

http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?page=1&xmldoc=19911790585So2d1205_11654.xml&docbase=CSLWAR2-1986-2006&SizeDisp=7

https://litigation-essentials.lexisnexis.com/webcd/app?action=DocumentDisplay&crawlid=1&doctype=cite&docid=66+Tul.+L.+Rev.+2094&srctype=smi&srcid=3B15&key=56a80208aa7265e6a3041dd9b4286c70

Mark DeAngelis

Asst. Prof. in Residence, BLAW

University of Connecticut

Legal Studies Classroom blog: http://legalstudiesclassroom.blogspot.com/

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/profblaw?feature=mhum

-----Original Message-----

From: Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Talk [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rosemary Hartigan

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:24 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: Workplace harassment?

I think the conduct has to be much more outrageous for the tort of intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress.  I often see language in such cases that states that the workplace is "rough and tumble" and impolite, rude, discourteous, and even crude conduct does not rise to the level of intentional infliction of emotional distress.  If cursing amounted to emotional distress, the courthouses would be flooded.

Also, if it's just one incident, the incident has to be quite outrageous.

Without more evidence of "outrageousness," I don't see intentional or

negligent infliction of emotional distress here.   Usually, this is harder

to prove than harassment.

Rosemary Hartigan, J.D., M.A.

Professor and Associate Chair

Director One-Year MBA

Business and Executive Programs

The Graduate School

University of Maryland University College

1616 McCormick Drive

Largo, MD 20774

Phone: 240-684-2484; 800-888-UMUC ext. 22484