FACULTYTALK Archives

April 2008

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Pearson Liddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:57:50 -0500
Sorry, no help here Robert but I'm interested in the answer to this question also.

Pearson

>>> Robert Bird <[log in to unmask]> 4/1/2008 11:36 AM >>>
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into instances where the United States is insufficiently protecting foreign trademarks in contravention of its obligations under the TRIPS agreement or other treaties.  I have two instances:

1. Lack of sufficient protection for geographic indications (a relative of trademark) under US law

2. The famous marks doctrine, requiring protection of foreign marks in the United States if they are famous abroad but not yet famous here, has been brought into question by a recent Second Circuit decision.

Can anyone suggest any other examples?  I'm trying to make the point that the US does not seem to be fulfilling its obligations to protection foreign marks sufficiently.  (I know this is really specific question, so if the collective wisdom of the listserv immediately hits the delete key I'd understand).

Thanks,

Robert

Robert C. Bird
Assistant Professor
University of Connecticut
View my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=56987 <http://ssrn.com/author=56987>