FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Peter W. Schroth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:23:18 -0500
Dear Professor Cahoy,

In my opinion, a student should not be allowed to undertake
such a project without at least (1) a good reading knowledge
of Italian and (2) some knowledge of Italian law in
general.  It is clear from the student's message that she is
way out of her depth.

It might make sense to require that the project be limited
to EU law, rather than attempting to include Italian
domestic law.  However, although the necessary EU materials
are available in English, some general knowledge of EU law
would be necessary.  Does she have sufficient background in
that?

It seems to me that you should be providing guidance here,
not merely facilitating an inappropriate project.  Your
student needs to learn to walk before she tries to run the
high hurdles, but, in this instance, she wants to run them
wearing a blindfold.

Peter W. Schroth