FACULTYTALK Archives

December 1999

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:37:40 -0500
I don't have a film but I have a lovely quote. Likely in the US the "New
Zealand economic miracle" wasn't talked about much, but here it was. I listened
to a talk by the Consul-General at that time and shortly after I had returned
from NZ where I was shocked to find my home town of Christchurch once more had
smog from wood and coal burning fires (it has a similar topography to LA and
fires were banned when I was a kid many moons ago). I asked the Consul who had
been in charge of much of the "miracle". His response was basically "we screwed
up". When we costed power etc we forgot to factor in the environment!

I wonder if they have corrected it yet.

Sally