FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:10:34 -0500
      Perhaps my understanding of evolution is flawed, but I never
understood evolution as speaking to the origins of life itself (i.e.,
evolution neither accepts nor rejects the proposition that life itself was
created by a deity).

      See, for example,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

      As I understand the conflict between a literal reading of The Bible
and the theory of evolution is that the theory of evolution does speak to
the origins of --human-- life.  Specifically, the theory of evolution
asserts human life sprang from forms of life preceding human life.  In that
way the theory of evolution is in conflict with a literal reading of the
seven days of creation in Genesis.

      See, for example,
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=1&chapter=1&version=50

      Is my understanding of the theory of evolution (propounded by the
adherents of the theory of evolution) correct?

      Is my understanding of the conflict between a literal reading of The
Bible and the theory of evolution correct?

Michael

Professor Michael J. O'Hara, J.D., Ph.D.
Finance, Banking, & Law Department        Editor, Journal of Legal
Economics
College of Business Administration        (402) 554 - 2014 voice fax (402)
554 - 3825
Roskens Hall 502                    www.AAEFE.org
University of Nebraska at Omaha           www.JournalOfLegalEconomics.com
Omaha  NE  68182
(402) 554 - 2823 voice  fax (402) 554 - 2680
http://cba.unomaha.edu/faculty/mohara/web/ohara.htm