FACULTYTALK Archives

December 2012

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 17:25:39 +0000
A week or so ago I attended a friend's son's birthday party.  The party was most jovial, replete with an animal show, plenty of pizza, and more cake than a rambunctious group of 5-7 year olds could possibly consume.  The host and I had a conversation about how Newtown was a great place to live with good schools and easy access to an interstate highway. Only in the past few days could I have told you whether any of those children were alive or dead.

My friend's daughter was four classrooms away from the massacre.  I spent the day checking Facebook to see if she was one of the victims.

I'm still processing the whole thing and find myself needlessly short-tempered.  And my connection is infinitesimal compared those who actually live there, a quaint and friendly town with good schools, attractive scenery, and a giant and historic flagpole that stands in the middle of its major thoroughfare.

All the children at the party and my friend's daughter survived.

Robert

Robert C. Bird
Associate Professor of Business Law
Northeast Utilities Chair in Business Ethics
Editor-in-Chief, American Business Law Journal
University of Connecticut, School of Business
2100 Hillside Road, Unit 1041
Storrs, CT 06269