FACULTYTALK Archives

May 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael OHara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 14:02:31 -0500
Earlier this week I received by Spring 1996 issue of the _ALSB
NEWSLETTER_.  On pages 28 to 35 it contains a copy of the ALSB
_Constitution_, and proposed amendments to the _Constitution_.

I believe that three technical amendments are in order.

I am not sure how best to proceed.  But, in order to maximize the "notice"
of amendments that I will propose from the floor --unless some other and
more appropriate method is in order-- at the meeting in Quebec City, I am
publishing my proposed amendments here.

FIRST
on page 29 in
Article V - Officers, Section 1.
in the second line

The proposed amendment deletes the language between the brackets (i.e.,
"[a Second Vice-President]") but fails to pick up the following comma.  I
propose that the closing bracket be moved out to pick up the following
comma (i.e., "[a Second Vice-President,]").

SECOND
on page 31
Article VII - Executive Committee, Section 1.  Executive Committee.
in the fifth line

This SECOND proposed amendment addresses the same flaw as the FIRST listed
above.  I propose a similar solution (i.e., "[as a non-voting member,]").

THIRD
on pages 32 and 33
Article VIII - Regional Business Law Associations, Section 1.
Establishment and Recognition, in subsections (a), (b), and (c).

As the FIRST amendment above clearly indicates the office of Second
Vice-President is to be eliminated.  The wholesale revision of Article VI -
Duties of Officers appears on page 35, and this wholesale revision shows
that the new office of Vice President is to take over the duties of the
old office of Second Vice-President (listed at the bottom of page 30) with
respect to Regional Business Law Associations.

Art. VIII, Sec. 1, subsec. (a) and (c) each contain a single reverence to
the office of Second Vice-President, while subsec. (b) contains two
references to the Second Vice-President.  I propose that we amend these
four references by deleting the word "Second" (i.e., "[Second]").

Respectfully submitted this 10th day of May 1996,
Michael J. O'Hara

=  Michael J. O'Hara, J.D., Ph.D.      [log in to unmask]  =
=  Law and Society Dept.,   Univ. Neb. at  Omaha  68182    =