FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kevin Michels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:54:29 -0500
A couple of books to consider that I just discovered a few days ago:

--Muolo and Padilla, Chain of Blame, How Wall Street Caused the
Mortgage and Credit Crisis (Wiley 2008).  Looks to be an engaging,
detailed account of the investment bankers and key individuals
involved.

--Fraser, Wall Street, America's Dream Palace, (Yale 2008).  A small
book that is not about the crisis, but more of a meditation on and
history of Wall Street's role in American life by looking at four
"iconic Wall Street types -- the aristocrat, the confidence man, the
hero and the immoralist."   One reviewer states: ""Provides a rich
historical context from which to reflect on the purpose and morality
of our financial markets."  Although I have just begun reading it, the
writing thus far is elegant.  I am tempted to assign shorter accounts
of the current crisis and assign this book to provide a larger,
longer-term perspective.

Here's a third book that I have not examined but found on Amazon recently:

--Meltdown: How Greed and Corruption Shattered Our Financial System
and How We Can Recover by Katrina vanden Heuvel (Paperback - Jan 9,
2009).

Kevin H. Michels
Assistant Professor
The College of New Jersey