FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael OHara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 08:50:59 -0500
What was that about sugar and vinegar?

If the messenger is going to be part of the problem, then just start off
acknowledging the obvious by telling the students you are stuffy old jerk
who is so misguided as to want to help them get a job.  THEN --after a
pregnant pause-- tell them wearing a hat is unlikely to increase their
chances of getting a job.  Proceed on to recommend that ALL students
obtain and read "Dress for Success".  Tell them that while you would like
them to all end as wealthy AND generous alumni, you understand that some
of them will be so drawn to their sense of fashion that they will
voluntarily choose to be poor AND generous alumni.

I have a question in a similar vein: i.e., hats in class.

Has anyone taken to banning hats which obscure the instructor's vision of
the student's eyes (e.g., forward facing baseball caps) during an exam?  I
have had a couple of occasions where I was slightly suspicious, but the
students in question routinely wore such hats, and the other evidence
(e.g., unusual angle of tilt of head) without the direct observation of
where the eyes were directed was far from conclusive.

For exams would I be justified in banning "clothing" which obscures my
vision of their eyes?  (Excepting, of course, ADA reasonable
accommodations which are [subsequently?] verified in writing.)

Would it be necessary (obviously it would be best) to include this in
written class syllabus?

Michael
=  Michael J. O'Hara, J.D., Ph.D.             [log in to unmask]  =
=  Chair, Law and Society Dept.,     Univ. Neb. at  Omaha  68182  =