FACULTYTALK Archives

August 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Frank Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:40:17 -0500
I would just note that the experimental empirical evidence is very mixed on
the question of whether economics students are more selfish than others.  A
couple of studies have found the opposite result.

At 09:09 PM 8/8/2004, Michael O'Hara wrote:
>       I also am on a listserv for economists.  Not surprising I have had
>the educational opportunity of countless postings on how humans are
>innately selfish, and hence economics is accurate.  Amusingly, the current
>discussion sprang from the organization's adopting a statement of
>professional ethics, and the opponents of same now cry out for due process
>least their unfettered selfish colleagues accuse falsely for advantage.  To
>bolsters their claim for needed "government", the opponents of an ethical
>standard noted that college students who take economics test as more
>"selfish" after the class than before the class, while students in most
>other courses test as less "selfish" after a class.
>
>       Since my mind is wandering towards the broad topical expanses of an
>ALSB conference, I turned off the censor that stills my keyboard and let
>fly the below into the belly of the beast.
>
>=============
>       My view of the experimental result that learning economics reduces
>ethical behavior is that ethics can be taught.
>
>       I suspect an innate predisposition exists in every individual for
>every feasible act.
>
>       I suspect that those innate predispositions vary by individual, vary
>by feasible act, and vary by magnitude of effort to resist a given
>predisposition (e.g., oxygen versus chocolate).
>
>       I suspect each individual's expressed probability of an act deviates
>from that individual's predisposition according to a host a variables.
>Some variable magnify the predisposition while others retard the
>predisposition.
>
>       I suspect that one such variable is the social paradigm, perceived by
>the individual, within which the act is placed by the individual.  That is,
>I see me act.
>
>       I suspect another such variable is the social paradigm within which
>the act of the individual is perceived by the others perceiving the
>individual.  That is, I see you seeing me act.  For example, hazing.
>
>       Much of neoclassical economics teaches students that it is right and
>good that each individual is selfish.  Much of neoclassical economics
>teaches students that society expects and desires each individual to act in
>a selfish manner.  Much of neoclassical economics teaches student that they
>are fated to act in a selfish manner.  No student is his brother's keeper.
>No student is expected to be his brother's keeper.  No student can be his
>brother's keeper.  Much of neoclassical economics teaches that any claimed
>act of altruism is misconstrued if not viewed through the paradigm of
>selfishness.  For example, "My utils increase when I help you and I help
>you." is correct phraseology for discussing altruism, but "My utils go down
>when I help you and I help you." is bad phraseology, even though the
>"correct" phraseology defies the definition of altruism.
>
>       Business students are keen for economic profit.  Business students
> [...]

Frank Cross
Herbert D. Kelleher Centennial Professor of Business Law
CBA 5.202
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712