FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:11:49 -0400
I agree with your comments Ginny.

On a very personal note, while plagiarism is, of course, academic theft etc, I was never
so flattered as when, as a very junior faculty member, I was told that someone at one of
our very reputable universities, was in deep trouble for having plagiarised a key
concept from an article I had written with someone else. I was delighted a) that anyone
had read the article and b) that someone thought it worthy of copying and c) that as a
complete non-entity, my work was at least noted as being copied at such a respectable
institution.

Was there an article on academic ethics (especially in the context of journal
submissions where these issues truly are significant because of the blind review process
and lack of ability to trace -- the nasty stories of reviewers and/or editors stealing
concepts and rejecting articles etc etc) in one of our journals or was it the JBE?

Sally