FACULTYTALK Archives

July 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kenneth Crews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 1994 14:12:50 PDT
Thanks, Daphne, for your insightful comments.  I also get an
occasional comment from students who wonder when we will
get to the "business" part of this law course.  But I take
consolation from the more frequent comments from students about
the direct relevance of the course to their own experiences.
You cannot please everyone.  Often the ones questioning the
relevance turn out to have rigid outlooks on the world.  I
taught a class of engineers in an MBA program last spring.  One
of the most senior members of the class expressed deep dissatisfaction
that the class was not ultimately giving absolute answers to each
legal question raised.  No explanation assuaged him.  His world
consisted of formulas and empirical answers.

Kenny Crews
San Jose State University