FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James Highsmith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:29:50 -0800
LOL I love it...and OMGosh, now Caroline thinks I am an Ogre...my students will tell you I am
pretty funny in class. Maybe not as funny as CH, but a comedian nonetheless. I like to use
humor to keep students alert and thinking. I definitely want to punk my class with a Caroline
quiz...I just have to wait until attendence gets shabby and that doesn't usually happen until
near finals when everyone is stressed. Do I dare do it then, Caroline?

As for the person who falls asleep first in each class, I stole my technique from someone I
now forget, and probably someone on here. I walk up to them and wake them up, tell them I
don't mind you sleeping in class but it hurts my feeling if you don't say goodnight first. The
class cracks up as does the sleeper, even if somewhat embarrassed. I take pity on the person
who falls asleep because of being up all night for work or a crying baby. Since I tell my
students I love them all, and just want to give them their money's worth early in the course,
they usually tell me if they have issues like this pretty quickly.

I have answered phones in class...hello this is professor highsmith, and the whole class gets
a kick out of that...recently I have just told everyone, if a phone rings, I get to take to the
Dean, and the student can get it back from him....
Last tuesday, I had forgotten to turn off MY phone...it rang in class...how embarrassing... so I
made a big deal of it, looked and it was my dentist. I answered, got my reminder for my
Wednesday appointment, hung up and told the class they could now turn on their phones for
20 seconds and turn them off, just to be fair. That got a great laugh from the audience. No I
don't have to be an ogre, but i do let them know I care that they learn and I will do my best
for them if they will do their best for me. I also let them know I am human, and make
mistakes.

James