FACULTYTALK Archives

July 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Frank Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 09:44:16 -0500
>Sender:       "Academy of Legal Studies in Business (ALSB) Talk"
>Poster:       Hunter Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Classroom Support
>
>Aloha Colleague:
>
>If you can spare a few minutes, your reply to the following 5 questions
>will be appreciated.  Responses will be shared with Quebec Panel members
>discussing a proposal to expand ALSB's classroom support.
>
>Information about the Panel follows the questions -- It is not necessary to
>read it to answer the questions. -- Expressing disinterest is also
>important.
>
>        Thanks,  --Hunter
>Would you like to have peer reviewed business law classroom support
>materials available on Internet (e.g.: PowerPoint presentations, sample
>course syllabi, business style cases, etc.)?
>        Yes __x_
>        No  ___
>        Comment:
>
>Would you identify the business law classroom support items you would most
>like to have on Internet?
>        Item List & Comments:

Hard to say, because I have not thought it through.  I'm sure that cases
would be good, and maybe outlines.

> [...]
>committee and other assignments that it is difficult to find the time to
>acquire the skills and do the ground work to move up to an integrated
>information technology classroom.  (Common faculty knowledge, not common
>public knowledge.)
>        Presently within the Academy membership there are a number of
>individuals willing to share their materials and experience to help
>colleagues make the step up.  (Untested assumption, JLSE publication will
>be a useful incentive.)
>        Internet technology is the means by which this can be accomplished
>most efficiently.  (Obvious -- But there will need to be parallel
>information provided in the printed version of JLSE to assist the
>transition to technology.)
>        The effort should be coordinated by JLSE.
>
>JLSE is important for at least four reasons;
>* it is an existing element of the organization with a closely related mission,
>* it can provide important quality control assurances,
>* it can provide the motivation & recognition to stimulate the production
>of quality materials,
>* it has an existing distribution system.  The paper journal is an
>important bridge between past methods and new technology.  (It would be
>desirable to go parallel with electronic publication as soon as possible.)
>
>BENEFITS:
>* Make the best materials within ALSB available to more teachers --
>        Improve Business Law Education
>* Lessen member's burden in improving classroom teaching
>* Broaden and expand ALSB discourse on classroom issues
>* Membership benefit to enhance ALSB recruitment and retention.
>* Increase publication opportunities for members.
>
>RESOURCES:
>Internet Site (Or use of multiple sites)
>Internet Server Support (Some level of central support)
>JLSE Support -- Important parts of the communication will need this vehicle
>ALSB Members (Contributing and Using)
>
>POTENTIAL CONCERNS
>        Relationships with Publishers:  ALSB gets financial and other
>support from publishers in mutually beneficial relationships.  Care should
>be taken not to accidentally alter these relationships.
>The possibility exists that some projects could be perceived as being in
>competition with publishers.  Classroom support should be in areas where
>the members identify unsatisfied needs.  ALSB should focus on satisfying
>identified needs for its members and their students.  (Products such as
>text books are clearly not within this area of interest.)
>
>        Non-member access to information:  There are many business law
>faculty members who are not ALSB members.  It seems unreasonable to
>establish a secure Internet site.  A better approach would be to use the
>materials to encourage ALSB membership.  ALSB might develop a license
>agreement saying classroom materials are licensed for use by current ALSB
>members, non-members should submit an annual shareware fee, e.g., one half

# Frank B. Cross            *************                        #
# CBA 5.202                       *                              #
# University of Texas          *  *  *                           #
# Austin, TX 78712             *  *  *                           #
# 512/471-5250                 *  *  *                           #