FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ginger, Laura" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:31:08 -0500
Here is a bit from a NYT article about both the beaver tail and the maple leaf cookies.
Laura
Indeed, if there was any complaint about Mr. Obama's visit, it was that he had planned no public appearance with average Canadians. The White House fixed that at the end of the day, however, as Mr. Obama made a surprise stop at the ByWard Market, a renovated farmers' market in an historical stretch of Ottawa. He bought a key ring with Canadian dollars, then tried to pay for two maple leaf cookies, but his money was refused. And at a kiosk outside the market, he picked up a Beaver Tail, the fried, flattened doughnut that served as the prototype for the Obama Tail, which a local bakery had named after him.

He politely avoided eating the cholesterol-laden confection, promising to do so once he got back to the White House.