FACULTYTALK Archives

April 2016

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:31:51 -0400
When I was training paralegals, I emphasized that jurisdiction was the power of the court to resolve a claim; whereas, venue was a place.

Example 1 -- The Federal Tort Claims Act provides that after administrative processing of the claim jurisdiction resides with the federal district court.  The venue may be decided by reviewing the
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure which could be (1) where the act occurred or (2) where the plaintiff resides.

Example 2 -- In Ohio, for a foreclosure case of real property the statute provides that jurisdiction resides with the court of general jurisdiction, i.e., the Court of Common Pleas.  Venue would be
the county in which the real property is located.

James C. Funk, Esq., COI
Professor, Marion Technical College (retired)