FACULTYTALK Archives

August 1999

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:51:21 -0400
More news:

This report, as promised, brings you the announcement of the award
winners at our recent Annual Meeting. Following that is an update on
AICPA news – please don’t miss it in the second part of this message.

Awards:

A number of our outstanding colleagues were honoured at our Annual
Banquet. Again, congratulations to them all.  In addition awards were
made by various sections. Since I don’t have the latter information,
perhaps the Section officers might pass on those names later.

This year both the Junior and Senior Faculty Award of Excellence were
made. Joan Gabel of Georgia State was presented with the Junior Award
and Fran Zollers of Syracuse University with the Senior Award. The
speeches outlining the outstanding achievements of these two people were
excellent and they should be both posted (sans Tim’s song,
unfortunately) on our web page soon.

The Holmes-Cardozo Award, Outstanding Conference Paper 1999 went to
Andrea Giampetro-Meyer of Loyola College, Maryland. Those receiving the
Holmes-Cardozo Award, Distinguished Conference Paper Awards 1999 were
Lynda Oswald of the University of Michigan and Nim Razook of Oklahoma
University.

The Outstanding Proceedings Paper Award, 1999 was received by Joan
Gabel. The Distinguished Proceedings Paper Awards, 1999 went to Tim Fort
and Cindy Shipani, both of the University of Michigan.

The Ralph C. Hoeber Award for Outstanding Article, Volume 36, American
Business Law Journal 1999 went to Robert Prentice of the University of
Texas (co-authors Susan Scholz and Vernon Richardson). The Ralph C.
Hoeber Awards for Excellence in Reseach Volume 36 of the American
Business Law Journal 1999 went to Tim Fort, Sandra Miller of Widener
Univesity, and Dan Ostas of the University of Oklahoma. The Ralph C.
Hoeber Awards for Outstanding Article, Volume 16, Journal of Legal
Studies Education 1999 were made to Caryn Beck-Dudley, Utah State and to
Marianne Jennings, Arizona State.

Peter Shedd was presented with the Kay Duffy Memorial Award in
appreciation for his services as ALSB President 1998-9. Both Deb Ballam
(Ohio State) and Nim Razook (University of Oklahoma) were honoured for
the Editorships of the ABLJ and the JLSE respectively. Virginia
Morrison, graduating student from Bowling Green University, received the
Outstanding Student Paper Award.

AICPA:

You will recall that when I last wrote, I outlined what Ivan Fox (our
liaison to the AICPA) had advised the General Meeting in St. Louis. I
want to update you now. Ivan is working very closely with key staff
members at the AICPA. He is obtaining the names of the Examinations
Committee and I will be circulating these shortly to those of you who
have identified yourselves as having some interest in working on this
issue and/or connections with useful people. If anyone who is interested
or has useful contacts wants to be included please let me know ASAP.
Likewise, if I have inadvertently left you off the list, please tell me.
I find I have a lot of lists coming out of St. Louis and it is easy to
make mistakes.

The latest news is that things are very much in a state of flux but that
no decisions have been made other than to have an electronic exam
format. We have been advised to adopt a ‘wait and see’ policy for this
reason for the short-term. We are following that advice while at the
same time, working out the most appropriate contacts etc to make in the
interim. Of course, individuals can take any action they like, but I
would suggest that being too assertive at this stage might be
counter-productive. Again, likely the best approach still is joining the
interested group here so that we can keep you fully informed and ensure
that all our contacts are best used.

One suggestion has been made that I would urge you to consider. You
likely know that the AICPA continues to look for people to write exam
questions. There are two topic areas in which our members could make a
major contribution: business law and accounting ethics. Several of our
members have some experience in writing such questions. I would ask you
to contact either Jim Highsmith ([log in to unmask]) or Ivan Fox (
[log in to unmask]) if you would like some guidance with this exercise.
Alternatively you can contact Joel Koppelman directly of the AICPA
[log in to unmask] We will also be contacting individuals asking if
they would agree to participate. I understand that there is some payment
for writing a question.

In sum, if you haven’t passed on your name to me as being interested in
assisting in the next months or having contacts, please do so. If you
are interested in writing either business law exam questions or
accounting ethics questions, please contact Jim or Ivan for further
information.

Good luck to you all for the Fall term.

Sally Gunz