FACULTYTALK Archives

June 2014

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kenneth Schneyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:07:49 +0000
I don't think it hurts the Academy for one of our members to announce his non-academic pursuits on this list, nor even to seek help with them.  I have on several occasions "advertised" my published short stories (I have a new collection out, BTW), simply because there are people I the ALSB be who might be (a) fond of me and (b) interested.

We have had puh-lenty of political discussions and arguments on this list, and when some have asked whether it's appropriate, others have emphatically replied that politics is directly connected to policy is directly connected to law.  Now that we have a member who seeks to put his legal / policy / political views into practice (& Michael thinks more deeply and analytically on these subjects than almost anyone), it seems absurd to me to say that it's inappropriate.

In short, we have already decided to allow both politics and self-promotion on this list.  There's no reason we shouldn't allow political self-promotion.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone