FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2010

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Gershuny, Pam" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 22:44:28 -0400
Have u checked out www.topix.com yet for defamatory statement issues?

Kenneth Schneyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

*chuckle*  I was waiting for that.

First example is clearly a defamatory statement, as it accuses X of a
violation of federal law.  The violation either occurred or it did not;
that is a matter for the jury to decide (consequently a fact).

The second example is more difficult.  "Harassed" is sometimes a factual
concept, but "very minor reasons" sounds like a matter of opinion.  If
the speaker had said "no reasons," that sounds more factual, because it
invites the jury to ask whether there was any justification at all.  But
if the truth of the statement hinges on whether the reasons were "very
minor," that seems so subjective as to be unproveable.

Ken