FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Linnea McCord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:09:51 -0800
Rick:  Definitely - your idea is the better one.  IP law is a subset of
cyberlaw - but cyberlaw - or eLaw, as the class I am teaching is called -
involves a much broader array of subjects - like privacy, taxation,
contract formation, export laws (encryption), digital signatures,
electronic recordkeeping, domain names, constitutional issues regarding
free speech (defamation, advertising and pornography) jurisdiction,  email
in the workplace, unfair competition and deceptive trade practices,
criminal liability, antitrust and securities - in addition to the standard
IP subjects like patents, trademarks, trade secrets and copyrights. Of
course, one cannot forget international law since the Internet has no
boundaries.  Certainly, intellectual property issues are so important they
could also have a separate class on the subject that could be very
detailed, but a class limited to just those topics would definitely not
cover what a business person needs to know about doing business on the
internet.  Best wishes,  Linnea