FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2013

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Daniel Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 23:04:25 +0000
Hi Colleagues,

First, thanks very much for your responses to my question the other day about title and risk of loss in UCC contracts.  You-all are always a great resource and I appreciate it (especially as the lone lawyer here).

Now, over the years we've had a number of discussions on this listserv about which department in a college of business should house the b-law stuff.  Here at WWU, I have a bifurcated appointment: half time in Management (teaching mostly legal environment of business), and half time in Accounting (teaching contracts, UCC, corporate law, etc.--material covered on the CPA exam).

I'm retiring in a couple of years, and I'm trying to get the College to unify all the law courses in one department so my successor (assuming it's a full-time person) doesn't suffer all the multifarious petty administrative inconveniences that I have over the years.  I think Management is the right place, because management is a broader discipline than accounting, and lawyers tend to be involved with a broader range of issues than accountants.  But my Accounting chair is concerned that Accounting should retain control over the curriculum in the classes addressed mostly to accounting (would-be CPAs).

My question: how is this problem addressed at other institutions?  If the CPA-type law, or "regulatory" issues are not taught out of your Accounting Department, how does Accounting maintain curricular control?

I'd be grateful for your input on this.

Thank you,

Dan

Daniel M. Warner