FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
SALLY GUNZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 14:10:28 -0500
Here's a question that will challenge your knowledge of history.
Yesterday I got a bundle of old family papers. Included was my
great-grandfather's US Citizenship document dated 1861. It looks like
the key points are written in by hand (it looks like the original ink).
The seal however is green sticky paper with an impression. I am assuming
that this is a later certified copy of the original document. Do any of
you people know how to tell whether this is an original or a copy (maybe
the name of the printer is the give away? When did they start using
paper seals?).  Also, there is a photocopy of a "safe passge" type
document from the late 1860's. Is that the equivalent of a passport or
was that something to do with the Civil War?

Sally