FACULTYTALK Archives

July 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:43:53 -0400
Bob:

Maybe the Aussies can provide more detail. I have checked the Sydney Morning
Herald for the past week. The only story on firearms that is remotely relevant
was this from the 29th June:

People with illegal firearms have three months to turn them over to police or
face up to 14 years jail under tough new NSW gun laws. Police Minister Paul
Whelan said from today illegal-gun owners had three months to hand in their
weapons under a State Government amnesty. `` which suggests that any
registration is a) state and not federal and b) only coming into place now at
least in NSW.

I looked up the Australian Newsnet and no story either. Methinks it is likely
the usual silly propaganda you find every so often on this issue, but let's wait
until our Antipodean friends wake up and can respond.

Sally