FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Lizbeth G. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:55:04 -0700
Southwest Airlines automatically issues free ticket vouchers upon accrual of sufficient mileage and these can be transferred to anyone.  The
charitable organizations I am involved with often get them donated and then we raffle them because they can be used by anyone.  So far, my
university has not required us to turn them back in to the university, but they also don't pay for the tickets until after the trip when we
seek reimbursement -- I figure the free mileage/tickets are quid pro quo for the financing that I provide.  On the $12,000 trade show
drawing, I think the intent of the donor has EVERYTHING to do with it.  A drawing that does not require any consideration to enter is just a
gift, and I think that under gift law, the donor's intent is controlling.  However, given the content of the response by others in this
group, I am prepared to disgorge the pencils, bookmarks, candy etc. that I picked up from exhibitors at the meeting of the Southern Academy
last week.  Liz