FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2013

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Maurer,Virginia G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2013 22:55:38 +0000
I have wondered whether the inaugural address about the torch being passed to a new generation was THE formative event for the baby boomer generation. JFK spoke of his generation, but I felt it my generation for years to come.

Perhaps it was a comment on the march of time as generation succeeds generation.

I have also been touched by the retrospectives on Gettysberg and the observation that a host of European royal families watched with keen interest the progress of the American civil war. And the idea that Lincoln was, in part, addressing that open question of whether a nation so conceived would long endure.

What an extraordinary gift we have had in both leaders, both with the power to inspire passion for the work of a generation.

This is NO commentary on the current flock of leaders in Washington. I have undaunted faith that somewhere in there will emerge lasting leadership for this next generation.

Ginny

Virginia G. Maurer, M.A., J.D.
Professor of Business Law and Legal Studies
Director, Poe Center for Business Ethics
Darden Restaurants Professor of Diversity Management
Warrington College of Business
352 256 0295 (cell)
352 376 2867 (home)