FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Keith Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 16:51:33 -0600
I have been monitoring a list on First Amendment issues to which one of the
discussants posted the following "blow-by-blow" of a lawsuit brought by
McDonalds in London. I thought many of you would find it of interest.

By the way, if you are interested in subscribing to the list address your
subscription to [log in to unmask] with the message:

                         subscribe AMEND1-L

Here is the post, and it is long!

                        Keith Maxwell
                        University of Puget Sound

>For your reading pleasure
>
>Subject: McLibel trial in London

> McDonald's food is bad for you.  WWW links at the end point to stuff
> including the original text that casued the hulabaloo.]

>        +++++THE MCLIBEL TRIAL CONTINUES+++++
>

>After several years of pre-trial hearings, the McDonalds libel
>case against two unwaged campaigners - who were allegedly involved
>in distribution in 1989/1990 of the London Greenpeace leaflet
>"What's Wrong With McDonald's" - finally began at the end of
>June.
>
>            ++++++REMINDER OF THE BACKGROUND++++++
>

>A total of approximately 170 UK and international witnesses will
>give evidence in court about the effects of the company's
>advertising and the impact of its operating practices and food
>products on the environment, on millions of farmed animals, on
>human health, on the Third World, and on McDonald's own staff.
>They will include environmental and nutritional experts, trade
>unionists, McDonald's employees, customers and top executives.
>

>McDonald's have claimed that wide-ranging criticisms of their
>operations, in a leaflet produced by London Greenpeace, have
>defamed them, so they have launched this libel action against two
>people (Dave Morris & Helen Steel) involved with the group.
>
>Prior to the start of the case, McDonald's issued leaflets
>nationwide calling their critics liars. So Helen and Dave
>themselves took out a counterclaim for libel against McDonald's
>which will run concurrently with McDonald's libel action.
>
>Helen and Dave were denied their right to a jury trial, at
>McDonald's request. And, with no right to Legal Aid in libel
>cases, they are forced to conduct their own defence against the
>McDonald's team of top libel lawyers.
>
>The trial is open to members of the press and public (Court 35,
>Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London WC2 - nearest Underground
>Temple or Holborn) and is set to run until at least March 1995.
>

>      ++++++++++++  NOW READ ON............  ++++++++++
>

>           ++++++++++THE SIXTH AND SEVENTH WEEKS OF THE TRIAL
>           (weeks beginning 12 and 19 Sept) were taken up with
>           McDonald's witnesses on DIET & CANCER, ADDITIVES, DIET
>           & DIABETES, and MARKETING; and with a Defence witness
>           on ADVERTISING and NUTRITION.+++++++++++++++++++
>

>DR SIDNEY ARNOTT: On 12 & 13th September, Dr Arnott (McDonald's
>expert on cancer) returned to be cross-examined by the Defendants.
>He argued that although there had been a great deal of research
>into cancer the exact causes were not proven. He was not convinced
>by the evidence linking a high fat/low fibre diet to cancers of
>the breast and bowel, although he accepted that a high fat diet
>was linked to heart disease, diabetes and also obesity (which he
>agreed might increase the risks of some forms of cancer).
>
>MODERN DIET LINKED TO CHRONIC DISEASES - The Defendants referred
>him to the conclusions and recommendations of a wide range of
>authoritative medical, scientific, advisory and governmental
> [...]

Prof. Keith A. Maxwell                |  Voice:    206 756 3703
Legal and Ethical Studies in Business |  Fax:      206 756 3500
1500 N. Warner                        |  Internet: [log in to unmask]
University of Puget Sound             |---------------------------------------
Tacoma, WA 98416                      |  "Brevity is the soul of wit."