FACULTYTALK Archives

January 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:24:32 -0500
Like Dan I have been troubled at the idea of inviting Ashcroft to speak. Yes,
we may be providing a platform and in a sense endorsing his views. In
addition, there are other questions to think about. THe first, for me, is why
we are considering this? That he has once been part of our profession and is
now a major public figure is not a good justification, or I should say, does
not make me want to do him the honor of this kind of invitation. Put another
way, what would he add to us professionally that would not be available from
many other speakers involved in government and politics? Also, does the
principle of free debate mean we must sponsor speakers of all persuasions?
Perhaps the answer would be yes if we as an organization were in the midst of
a controversy and he could contribute to that conversation. MOreover, if the
conference organizers want to invite him, I fully respect their right to do
so. Otherwise, I think not.
Finally, and here I speak only for myself, I am not all that impressed with
the man just because he is about to become attorney general in this
administration. He holds views on social, political and business issues that
are contrary to the deeply held views of many of our members, and so I would
vote no to the invitation.
Lucy

>I must admit that I find myself in a conundrum here.  I am so adamantly
opposed to most of the political beliefs espoused by Ashcroft; but at the same
time, feel compelled by my own sense of tolerance that we should not preclude
open debate.  I suppose the question I have in light of the last
>couple of emails is would Ashcroft's speaking (either her or him) at an ALSB
function really be perceived as the ALSB "providing a platform"?  Is providing
a platform tantamount to an endorsement?

>Dan
>
>>> [log in to unmask] 01/18/01 09:14AM >>>
>Very well said!
>
>Thomas W. Dunfee