FACULTYTALK Archives

June 1998

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
FS GANTT GAMEWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:00:00 MDT
Dan:  "Yes" to both of your questions.  I have been following the
ALSB talk and I will continue to keep watching for new developments.

I will probably need a room for Wed, Thurs, & Fri, (and possibly
Sat.) depending on when my panel is and depending on what days are
required by the airline for the lowest rate - which may or may not
require a Sat. night layover - and finally depending on what travel
days are not yet fully sold out on the only airline from Pocatello.

Our current university travel policies require us to book the lowest
airfares, the lowest single occupancy hotel rates, and to stay
somewhat less than the whole conference if the meeting is a long one.
Seems like we need to know everything at once, which of course, is
not always possible.  Couldn't get the air ticket until hotel
reservations were confirmed and couldn't get a room until we had some
feel for when our panel might present (which we still don't know) and
now, a month or so before the published deadline for the room, the hotel
is all sold out of the good rates and has almost tripled its prices
for those willing and able to pay them.  Sounds like good ethics and
good business in a free market economy to me!

Don't feel bad - I know this isn't your fault and I'm not even upset
about it.  I can always bail out of this meeting and attend the Rocky
instead.

When the national meeting was in Milwaukee I had to stay
far away at a remote location and it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as
being in the same hotel with everyone else like when the national met
in Quebec so I am thinking of passing on San Diego.  Will those of us
who have already registered get refunds if we can't make it?  Right
now I don't even know if air travel is still available from Pocatello
even if you can locate some rooms.

Our email is still doing crazy things.  Your entire message is on a
single line with no carriage returns.  Makes it hard to read and not
all of it is readable.

Gamewell

"G Gantt" <[log in to unmask]>
Idaho State University - Pocatello