FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Reitzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:54:17 -0700
Marsha,

Pearson's e-mail was addressed to " Dan, Executive Committee and
Marianne."  His first sentence is, " You all need to call a time out and
think this thing through." I thoroughly agree. Both sides have made
intemperate remarks which are not in the best interests of the ALSB,
business law faculty, or business law education. Some points on both
sides, however, are legitimate and well-taken.

I'm concerned about the obviously related question of the Executive
Secretary's (ES's) authority. Does the ES have authority to relieve a
journal editor-in-chief (or any other editor) of duties?  ES Herron
asserts that he does. I am doubtful. The ALSB needs to review the manner
in which journal editors are appointed and the grounds upon which and
the manner in which they may be removed. As a former editor-in-chief of
the ABLJ, I would have taken truly serious umbrage had the ES of the
time attempted to remove me. The ES needs to have a very solid legal
basis for a removal action. The entire ALSB membership, of whatever
political persuasion, needs to express to the current ES the absolute
need for him to reveal the basis for his assumed authority. Due process
requires no less. Yours, JDR.

--
Yours,

David Reitzel
Verna Mae and Wayne A. Brooks Professor of Business Law
Sid Craig School of Business
California State University, Fresno