FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2011

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Lee B. Burgunder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 08:41:50 -0700
Hi Rick,

I am not sure if this is in the same ballpark, but there is the concept of contributory liability and vicarious liability...and at the moment I am thinking about how they are applied in intellectual property situations, especially with copyright and trademark infringement.  The basic notions are that specific knowledge of an infringement plus an ability to stop the it brings a duty to act.  Or a general knowledge plus financial benefits provides a duty to police for specific acts of infringement.  These doctrine are most evident when considering liability of online service providers for copyright infringements by customers.  The Napster case perhaps is the best example where both responsibilities existed.  There are numerous others.

Lee

Lee Burgunder
Orfalea College of Business
Cal Poly