FACULTYTALK Archives

July 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Razook, Nim M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:03:29 -0500
Murray - I think these publicatons rely on public figures' reluctance to
sue.  If there's any truth in the article at all, a lawsuit might reveal
even more.  I also suspect a good share of the stories have some element of
truth.  When taken to the mat by irate public figures, the publication will
be reluctant to admit that their their "embellished" story was misreported,
but, in those few cases where things get dicey, they'll litigate or publish
a correction as they see fit?  Yes, the plaintiffs' bar is strong - but so
are these papers and the 1st Am.   Nim Razook