FACULTYTALK Archives

June 1998

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:25:09 -0500
At 04:53 PM 6/29/98 EST, Ginny Maurer wrote:
>To:  John
>
>Oh, don't be sorry. We need a good typo now and again.
>It is so hot and miserable and smoky here in north Florida that
>I was glad to see something novel. I thought it meant that which is
>easily relegated to committees, (or commiddies). Actually, it
>probably means that too.
>
>But in a dissertation defense today at the Journalism School I
>maintained that class action notices in tobacco litigation ought to
>include scratch and sniffs of stale tobacco smoke, to increase
>"message reach."  I thought that was a brilliant thought.
>
>I hope it is not as dull and miserable everywhere as it is in Florida
>in June.  And it is good that we recruit faculty in January, or
>there would be no one on this faculty at all. .
>
>Ginny Maurer

Ginny,

Maybe I've been reading economics for too long.  That will indeed wither
one's brain.  The term, if written by someone with better keyboarding
skills than I, is standard in economics, as I'm sure you know.  I like your
suggestion in the dissertation defense; it reminds me of a suggestion I
made several years ago in a dissertation defense in International Business
that it might be a good idea to have visited the country that was the main
topic of the study.

My fuse is a little short these days due in large measure to the fact that
we're having the worst summer in Texas in 29 years.

John