FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Stephen Gara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:41:07 -0400
For what it's worth, the rationale for the standard change may be a concern
that anyone teaching in a discipline should hold a graduate degree in that
same area. Additionally, an accounting masters might ensure that the
individual is not too focused on the "law" and not enough on the
"accounting" or "business" issues of taxation. However, as a JD,LLM,CPA
(though with an accounting PhD) I personally fail to see the need for a
requirement for an accounting masters. The CPA designation should in itself
demonstrate knowlege and familarity with accounting & business issues.

Of course, I'm probably over-analyzing this. However, one of my colleagues
is a JD/LLM/CPA and is concerned about this proposal. Obviously, it is just
a proposal and subject to change, hopefully back to the original language.

Given the tight job market faced by accounting departments, it would
probably be in their best interests to allow as many folks as possible to
qualify academically as tax faculty.

Stephen C. Gara,  JD, LLM, PhD, CPA
Assistant Professor of Accountancy
Long Island University - C.W. Post Campus
Brookville, NY  11548
516-299-2085 (voice)
516-299-2297 (fax)
http://phoenix.liu.edu/~sgara/home.htm