FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2000

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Thomas Cavenagh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:58:49 -0800
Colleagues:

As many of you know, I have drafted, with the assistance of members of
the Illinois State Bar Association Section Council on Alternative
Dispute Resolution, the proposed Illinois Mediator Certification Act.
The Act, which is considerably broader in scope than the UMA now being
finalized, addresses mediator immunity more favorably than does the
UMA.  In fact, while the UMA does not confer immunity to mediators, the
proposed Illinois Act does.  There is authority for both approaches in
various jurisdictions.  I would be interested in the perspectives held
by those of you who have considered mediator immunity.

Best regards,

Tom Cavenagh

--
Thomas D. Cavenagh, JD
Associate Professor of Business Law & Conflict Resolution

630-637-5157
630-637-5121 (fax)