FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"bruce d. fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:29:53 -0500
David,
       You might want to take a look at a piece in the 10 Journal of Legal
Studies Education 1-45 (1992) that Dale Fox and I did in which we
correlated salary with scholarly productivity .  Unfortunately, we did not
get into names of publications relying instead on indexed articles.
       Lynn Ward did a study of business law professors' publications quite
a few years ago that was presented to the ALSB annual meeting.  I don't
know if it was ever published in the Proceedings, but as I recall, it did
have journal names and citations.
      There is also the "Maru list" (I think it was in the Am Bar Foundat.
J.).  It is a rather dated article from the 1970's (if memory serves) that
ranks many, if not all, law reviews by name and even the ABLJ (our
journal).  Unfortunately, it is quite out of date given the development of
legal publication since that time.
        For an article that gives productivity RATES of law profs (not
b.law profs) as well as salary correlates, check out Paul Bowen's and my
article in 19 N. Ill. Univ. Law Rev. 671, 681 (1999) which shows rates of
law prof publications in "out of the box" law reviews by law profs at 3 top
quartile state law school profs over a 16 year period.  We do NOT name or
rank journals, however, but scholarly productivity is noted in quite
refined measures.  The correlation between scholarship and SALARY is very
disheartening (scholarship explains only 4% of the variance and this only
occurs when scholarship is combined with the overwhelming
factor--seniority--which accounts for 76% of the variance).
        There are quite a few lists floating around ranking journals using
various metrics.
                             Bruce Fisher