FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sally Gunz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:46:01 -0500
I am starting to get my first JBE articles with Wikopedia references.
Amazing. My thoughts -- any time an author could use a more reliable and
peer reviewed source they should be asked to do so. I am amazed by this
-- as recently as this summer I dumped on students for not getting
better cites. How do others approach this?

Sally

ps I know the comparisons between Wikopedia and Encyclopedia B. But we
are talking about an academic work that is eg citing stats that would be
readily available in an academic form (or which the authors could have
gathered themselves). It would be equiv. to quoting a newspaper or
website when you could have gone to a primary source or an academic
journal.