FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2001

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Hertel John P Prof USAFA/DFL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:09:53 -0700
Don,

Here at the Air Force Academy, most faculty are satisfied with our student
evaluation process (social sciences more than others).  In the early 90s we
developed an in-house form, adapted from one the U. of Washington had.  You
can access our forms and a lot of what we have on our home page
www.usafa.af.mil .  Once there, click through the following: Dean ...
Departments ... Directorate of Education...Academic Assessments.  I've
discussed this with our POC, Major Marie Revak, and she'd be happy to
discuss it some more if you'd like.

We have NO "demographic" questions; though one recent survey did break out
instructors by gender and military/civilian.  We do not ask GPA or
required/elective course.

We have not made a deliberate effort to get more/longer/better comments.  We
are considering  having students submit their critiques "on line" (rather
than in class) and some experimenting suggests that this may result in:
fewer, longer, better, and more critical comments.

We use several other means to evaluate teaching:  microteaching sessions in
many departments; student focus groups; class observations by other faculty;
and Quick Course Diagnosis sessions (I'm attaching a PowerPoint presentation
on this).

If you'd like more, please go back to our home page, under "Directorate of
Education" and click on "Publications," then "Educator."  This is our
in-house faculty development publication.  Check out in "Fall 98" one called
"Got a Minute?  Do Assessments."  And in Winter 99 check two:  "The What and
Why of Assessment," and "Ten Ways to get Feedback on Your Teaching."

The Air Force Academy was recently designated as a "Leadership Institution"
in undergraduate education by the Association of American Colleges &
Universities.  Our Center for Educational Excellence is certainly one of the
main reasons for this.

I hope this helps.

John Hertel