FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:57:52 -0600
Ginny asked why the Secret Service allowed someone with a loaded gun
to be in the VP's presence.

I'm not an expert on the Presidency or Presidential and V.
Presidential recreation, but I don't think hunting trips like this
are all that new.  For example, Teddy Roosevelt and LBJ were hunters.
Certainly some Presidents and VPs have gone on hunting trips in which
the Pres. or VP (or both) and their hunting friends were all carrying
loaded firearms.

I read in some Kennedy biography (or heard on some PBS show) that
when JFK was President, LBJ invited JFK and RFK to Texas for a
hunting trip.  Apparently JFK and RFK accepted the invitation
reluctantly, and did not enjoy the trip very much.

And hunting accidents certainly happen.  My torts casebook included
Summers v Tice, 33 Cal 2d 80, 199 P 2d 1 (Cal. 1948) in which three
friends were hunting quail and one of the hunters shot his friend by
mistake.

Dan Levin
- - - - -