FACULTYTALK Archives

April 2006

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Donna Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:41:15 -0400
I've just discovered a very effective way to bring home to students the
environmental problems we face, both as to resources and global warming.
This semester, I asked each student to take his ecological footprint and his
carbon footprint.

The ecological footprint survey tells the student just how many earths we
would need if everyone lived as the student lives. The carbon footprint
survey gives the student's "tonnes" of carbon pollution in comparison with
that of other US residents.  The results can be very sobering.  Between
those results and Jim Hansen's (NASA) prediction that we must reduce global
warming within 10 years or it will be out of our control, I saw my business
students, for the first time, seriously considering that something needed to
be done.   Here are the websites:

Carbon footprint
http://www.bp.com/extendedsectiongenericarticle.do?
categoryId=9006010&contentId=7012265