FACULTYTALK Archives

February 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
MICHAEL N HARFORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 10:05:24 -0500
Oh, the circle of time!  How long ago was it (yesterday) that the male
gender might appear in conversation on a job lead topic, as in "we want a
guy to teach X"?  And the reaction, let's all be PC.  After all, it is
the PC thing to be.  Or am I misinterpreting?  Is the reaction a
conservative backlash, a general rejection of affirmative action?

Email, particularly discussion lists, are conversational.  The message
that Kenyon wants a woman to teach the subject may in fact reflect a
commitment for Kenyon to improve the number of women on the faculty.  In
cyberspace we know not the context of nonvirtual reality.  Could it be
that lawyers are quick to judge because we want to be one?

Don't get me wrong.  A man can teach "feminist" subjects, just as a white
person could teach "black" studies.  They will, however, bring their
perspectives.  Labeling is sooooo much fun.  The heighth of silliness can
be achieved.  Did you read where the one college affirmative action
officer rejected an ad for "A dynamic teacher" because the term tended to
apply most to white men and their communication style?  Perhaps if the
advertisement was for "a mediocre teacher" even I could get the job.

Michael Harford
UPO 1014
Morehead, KY 40351
tel: 606-783-2756