FACULTYTALK Archives

July 2013

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Daniel Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:19:57 +0000
Hi All,

Indeed, the story of the train in Quebec is getting a lot of play in the US.  It has sparked renewed concern about the proposals to establish huge new train-to-ship oil transfer stations in Washington state.  The news this morning notes that Port of Vancouver (Vancouver, WA) is re-examining the safety and environmental standards for its proposed rail-to-ship complex due to the Quebec disaster.

The easily available fossil fuels have long since been exploited.  Now we are struggling desperately to continue our unsustainable and ruinous dependence on petroleum by exploiting more remote, difficult, and dangerous sources.    Prof. (Emeritus) William Catton has a very interesting and disturbing article on The Problem of Denial as it relates to environmental issues.  http://www.greatchange.org/ov-catton,denial.html  I am glad I'm not 22 years old.  The crash is going to be hard.

Best regards,

Dan

Daniel M. Warner
Professor, Department of Accounting