FACULTYTALK Archives

May 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ellen Rubert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 14:48:01 CST
I am in the process of petitioning for my college (a community
college) to recognize my J.D. as an "Earned Doctorate in the subject
field" (contract language).  It is my understanding that all four year colleges
recognize the J.D. as an earned doctorate but that some community colleges
do and some don't.

I'm looking for some information to support my cause.  Does anyone
know the history of the J.D. degree - how it replaced the LBD for
instance?  And is there a trend in community colleges at this point
toward or (God forbid) away from recognizing the J.D. as an earned
doctorate?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ellen Rubert, J.D. !