FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2004

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Levin, Murray S" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:41:52 -0500
I don't have quite the same concern for publishers (and the argument that selling these books back in the market results in higher prices for our students). What causes the higher prices for our students is the ludicrous publishing practice of unnecessarily producing new editions every two years mainly for the purpose of destroying the used book market. In recent semester more and more of my students have been inquiring whether they can use a three or four year old edition instead of the current one that is listed on my syllabus. I have come around to accommodating them. It results in a slight change in the way I teach my class (e.g. not nearly as many specific references to cases in the book and more reliance on classic examples and my own discussion problems).

I agree it is unethical to sell these books. I don't ordinarily sell examination copies; I have given many away to libraries, prisons, etc. Among other things, I don't want to diminish the new book royalties of the authors. I will confess, however, that I recently sold a couple of unsolicited books that were authored by "a former ALSB member".

Murray Levin

University of Kansas