FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael OHara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 08:26:34 -0500
At the Graduate level UNO requires one 3 hour course devoted exclusively
to law.  In response to competitive pressure seven years ago we dropped
from 6 hours.

At the undergraduate level UNO requires two 3 hour courses devoted
exclusively to law.  In response to competitive pressure seven years ago
and the increasingly crowded schedule of accounting students we dropped
from 9 hours.

This last year UNO revised its entire graduate and undergraduate
curriculum.  All law courses were redesigned and the predictable efforts
to eliminate law from the business core was rejected by a vote of the
whole faculty:  8 to 2 at the graduate level; and 3 to 2 at the
undergraduate level (to go to one 3 hour course).

I was one of the panelests for the Quebec session on "Defending the
Discipline".  If you would like a copy of my paper, please contact me.

Michael

=  Michael J. O'Hara, J.D., Ph.D.             [log in to unmask]  =
=  Chair, Law and Society Dept.,     Univ. Neb. at  Omaha  68182  =