FACULTYTALK Archives

April 2010

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Daniel Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:36:50 -0700
Hi Again Colleagues:

After I sent this--having formalized my thinking by getting down on "paper"--I figured out I was right about the second situation.  Parties are certainly free to modify any contract they make.  If the modification is subject to the parol evidence rule, it has to be evidenced by some writing.  It wouldn't matter whether it was characterized as a post-contract modification or not: it still has to be written.  Thanks to those of you who responded.  Everyone agreed on this one.

The second situation is a good example of the instructor--me--not controlling the facts tightly enough to make it possible to answer crisply.  (See the facts below).   Folks came up with different answers:

First, it might be possible to construe the whole negotiation situation as one single contractual undertaking, in which case the parol evidence rule would apply.  There was some discussion in several cases like that: parties negotiate, sign agreement, elements of negotiation still in the air, one side says the other agreed shortly after the signing (say, less than an hour).  Parol evidence rule applies.

Second, it might be possible to construe the situation as a real post-contract modification, in which case the parol evidence rule would not apply.

Third, is this a transaction for the sale of goods--the automobile--worth more than $500 so that the post-contract modification would have to be written under the UCC's statute of frauds?  Or is the "sales tax" in issue not a "sale of goods" so that common law applies, and an oral modification would be okay?

Fourth, if what Buyer says is true, isn't this fraud in the inducement, evidence of which is exempt from the parol evidence rule?

Thanks for your input.  It's good to be able to bounce ideas around a bit.

Dan

Prof. Daniel M. Warner
Dept. of Accounting (Business Legal Studies)
MS 9071, Parks Hall 401
Western Washington University
516 High St.
Bellingham, WA 98225