FACULTYTALK Archives

June 2009

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Petty, Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:31:28 -0400
A predecessor to PRINGLES called CHIPOS was sued by the Potato Chip Institute for calling itself potato chips, a false advertising suit under 43 of the Lanham Act.  The court of appeals decided CHIPOS could use the term potato chip as long as it made it clear that it was made from dehydrated potatoes.  I think the potato chip institute might have been better off trying to establish some sort certification mark for American Potato Chips (potato chips by itself is probably generic and could not be made into any kinds of trademark).  This was consistent with FDA guidelines that had been issued after a survey showed that 98% of all consumers were not deceived by PRINGLES brand potato chips into thinking they were made from slices of raw potato

Potato Chip Institute v. General Mills, Inc. (1972), 461 F. 2d 1088 (8th Cir.).

I think Pringles has never described itself as potato chips.

I like to use this example in teaching as just one of several possible tactics a business may use to try to control the use of particular names beyond trademarking its particular brand name.