FACULTYTALK Archives

August 2011

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sally Gunz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:44:30 -0400
A few months ago I looked at hotel prices in Victoria with a view to a
potential conference. They were quite reasonable. I understand right
now that it is a difficult time because of the US dollar but we have
always dealt with these fluctuations and that should make the hotels
even hungry. Now, before anyone leaps in and says the Empress. No --
that will never work for us. But in the past Victoria (like Seattle)
was very underbuilt for hotels. It is not any more hence their
interest in hosting a conference such as ours.

I am traveling write now and have not checked to see whether this has
already been suggested. Only quick emails. I would encourage Victoria
over Vancouver for the same reasons as we chose Quebec over Montreal
many years ago. Members can easily combine the two cities but
Vancouver is the provincial capital and will be less well known to our
members and has a good deal of charm to it. It is easy for plane
connections and think of going to a conference by ferry (easy ferry
bus combo from the airport in Vancouver).

Just a suggestion.

Sally