FACULTYTALK Archives

May 2005

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Walter Hutchens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 18:38:56 -0400
I, too, am one of the many who appreciates the contributions of
everybody--devoted staff, volunteers and otherwise--to our association.
Indeed, I have not been the least bit strident or personal (I actually
got gently kidded for blaming our outdated "system," rather than any
human being who inadvertently sends a reply-to-all message or the list's
manager). Indeed, I am starting to think we should retain the current
reply-to-all feature for its entertainment value alone. But since this
topic continues to fester and I seem to have become a principal
irritant/champion for change, let make a few points:

* upgrading listserv technology isn't complex. Google and Yahoo both
have group email/listserv features.I am on several lists so organized
that have over 1,000 subscribers. With those systems we wouldn't be
dependent on a non-ALSB institution's IT infrastructure, and we could
control the accessibility of our archives. Individual users could set
preferences so that they get every single reply-to-all personal message
instantly OR let them build up and be sent in a digest format that
gathers all such postings in a single daily message.

* A good number of us--three at least, which may amount to a
groundswell  in terms of the typical ALSBTALK traffic levels--have
indicated they have no objection to or even LIKE getting personal
messages not intended for them. Those of us with other preferences have
never indicated we are deeply and grossly offended by the de minimis
intrusions. It's not that big an issue, we can all agree. But whatever
one's personal preferences about the reply-to default setting, let me
reiterate that this is still a separate issue from using listserv
technology that would allow each of us to know from simply scanning our
in box that it contains messages from ALSBTALK. To be clear, I am
advocating migration to a list technology that would make subject lines
look like this:

                  Subj: ALSBTALK: whatever the individual sender inputs
in the subject line

How could this be bad?  It would help everybody manage his or her in
box, including those who don't want to miss a single reply-to-all
personal message as well as those engrossed in these monumental debates
about list management technology :-).

Cheers,
Walter Hutchens