FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1999

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:41:32 -0500
Neither UNO nor CBA require a foreign language requirement for graduation, I am
pleased to say.

If you can, I encourage graduation requirements which do not needless
discriminate on the basis of physical abilities, rather than on the basis of
intellectual achievements.  Many individuals who do poorly at learning a foreign
language do so because of particular brain configurations, rather than lack of
effort.  Consult with members of your psychology department, specifically those
who study the physical aspects of hearing and learning.

I earned my undergraduate degree after my -fifth- attempt at the third semester
of Latin.  Luckily for me there was only one instructor and only one text book
for those five consecutive semesters.  While I did skip class twice during the
first semester, I never missed a class or a home work assignment in the next
four efforts (yes, I did each one anew each semester).  The exams were
remarkably similar, but not identical (not that even that would have helped).
The professor graciously allowed this "graduating" senior to escape by calling
his highest course score to date a "Pass."  In try #5 I earned a 54%:  my prior
high was a 48% (thus, a 12.5% increase in output!).  When ALSB went to Quebec I
actually had more than one storekeeper ask me not to try to speak French, as it
hurt their ears too much.  All I had said was "Merci".

Michael

Michael J. O'Hara, J.D., Ph.D.
Finance, Banking, and Law Department
College of Business Administration