FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2010

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Robert D. Sprague" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 07:43:20 -0600
Ginny asks whether she is neoliberal?

Briefly: Neoliberalism revives the nineteenth century laissez-faire ideals of markets unfettered by government regulation. See Daniel Yergin & Joseiph Stanislaw, The Commanding Heights 14-16 (1998) (discussing the "return toward traditional liberalism around the world" and distinguishing this "liberalism" from the common American usage of the term as the opposite of "conservativism"). The term "neoliberal" gained prominence in reference to policies led by the United States in response to the 1980s Latin American debt crisis. These policies typically include cutting federal spending (particularly funds for social welfare programs), raising consumption taxes, tightening credit, maintaining high interest rates, and promoting increased foreign trade and investment. (The term "neoliberal" is more often used outside of the United States.)

From Martha T. McCluskey, Subsidized Lives and the Ideology of Efficiency, 8 Am. U.J. Gender Soc. Pol'y & L. 115, 118 n.16 (2000).

Bob

ROBERT SPRAGUE
Associate Professor
University of Wyoming College of Business
Department of Management & Marketing
1000 E. University Avenue, Dept. 3275 . Laramie, Wyoming 82071